Pages

Bible

Bible

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Churches Grow From The Foyer!


The foyer in your church building may be the most abundant and fruitful source of contacts available today. It makes a powerful impression on a potential new Christian. I deem it so ripe for harvest that I refuse to attend meetings (with rare exception) in those times before and after worship when the foyer is full of people. Sure it may be more convenient to have a “quick meeting” to discuss very important things. But when people are in the foyer, that time is “Go time” for this preacher. Every member who wants the church to grow should spend their time in the foyer before and after worship services or Bible classes. Churches grow from the foyer! 

One of the reasons churches grow from the foyer is because it is the place hospitality can be practiced most effectively. Hospitality is the broth in which the stew cooks. It’s like the pleasant aroma of a Thanksgiving meal before the family sits at the table to eat. It is what convinces people that they want to become a part of a church. It convinces people even before they hear the Word preached to them. People judge churches based on many things, but hospitality can overcome many obstacles and pave the way to open hearts. Those open hearts find God’s word growing within as they listen to the message preached.

Hospitality is the key to success in the foyer. It begins as an attitude and creates an incredible atmosphere of love, acceptance, and joy. It is irresistible to those looking for God’s love, acceptance, and joy. Naturally, if that is what they find in the foyer, they will attribute it to its true source: godliness. I have baptized numerous people because what they found in the foyer led them to accept what they heard in the pulpit.

Hospitality does not come naturally, but it can be taught. What does it take to create an atmosphere of hospitality in the foyer that will result in the growth of the church?

In his book, The 10-Minute Marketer’s Secret Formula, Tom Feltenstein listed what he called “12 Steps to Hospitality”. I took these and modified them with church growth in mind. These ideas are very important for creating the right environment to attract visitors and help ensure their return. (These are written as if stated by a member of the church.)
  1. I know what is expected of me in my work for the church.
  2. I understand the purpose and mission of the church and that makes me feel my work is important.
  3. When asked to help the church, I always have the opportunity to do what I do best
  4. The church leaders seem to care about me as a person
  5. In the last month I have received recognition or praise for doing my work well
  6. Someone in the church encourages my development.
  7. My opinions seem to count
  8. I have everything I need in order to do what I do best
  9. Everyone around me seems to be committed to a high quality of work
  10. I have good friends in the church
  11. In the last six months someone has talked to me about my progress in the faith in order to help me set goals and move forward as a Christian.
  12. This last year I have had the opportunity to learn and grow through specialized training in areas I need help with or am interested in learning.
After carefully considering these, most leaders will realize the tremendous amount of service that is required to be a leader in the Lord’s church. These twelve things may not seem to relate to hospitality, but think about them as you look at the workers that are the most active and productive in the church. These twelve things imply godly encouragement and leadership from the front lines instead of back rooms.

In future posts we will consider each one of these and see how they relate specifically to leadership, church growth, and the development of hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to comment? Feel free! But please respect the fact that vulgarities and hate-speech will be deleted.